Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Planning a New Spencer

I've been wanting a wool Spencer jacket for some time now, and I was on the watch for the perfect sky blue wool broadcloth for it.  I finally found some at Denver Fabrics:


I bought two remnants from a recent wool sale they were running - 2 yards of sky blue broadcloth, and 1/2 yard of lightweight wool plaid just for fun. 

Why was I set on sky blue?  Well because I already had some blue soutache braid that I thought would be a lovely accent on a military-style Spencer such as these:

Germanischen Nationalmuseums
The Met
The Met
origin unknown
The Met
origin unknown
Though the trim on my examples is all pretty much the exact same color as the base color of the jacket itself, I like the idea of a more contrasting look:

Journal des Dames et des Modes, 1798
Here is my braid lying on top of the wool:


 I have two Spencer patterns to choose from - La Mode Bagatelle and Laughing Moon #129.


I plan to make a mock-up of each before I decide which pattern I like better.  I also have plans for a pink silk Spencer in the future, and I'll probably use the other pattern for that.  Yay more wardrobe additions! 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I can't wait to see this come together. I have some of that plaid wool in a warmer colorway, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us! I'm very nervous that it won't quite match the vision in my head. And I wish I had gobs and gobs of the plaid, instead of just 1/2 a yard. Wouldn't it make a gorgeous Civil War-era gown?

      Delete
  2. Hooray new projects! I am currently looking into spencer patterns, so please share your opinions on these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both patterns so far. I went with La Mode Bagatelle for this project, for various reasons outlined here: http://asartorialstatement.blogspot.com/2015/12/pattern-testing-for-new-spencer.html

      Delete