I had some very odd pieces of my floral fabric, because I had originally used it to make a mock-up of one of the bridesmaid dresses for my wedding, and it was cut on the bias. So I had about a yard and a half of yardage left, plus scraps like this:
I needed to use these odd scraps to cut out some of the bodice pieces:
It was a little funky cutting them out, especially since so many of the pieces needed to be cut on the fold:
I used the thread-pulling method to determine the straight of grain:
I cut out the bodice using my new multi-size cutting method - size 12 at the shoulders, 14 at the bust, and 16 at the waist.
To help me remember all this, I like to highlight the size I'm cutting at each juncture:
This pattern only went up to size 14, so I had to improvise slightly:
Construction was fairly straightforward, just following the pattern instructions for once (although I accidentally installed the invisible zipper on the opposite side seam as directed). The only issue I had was with attaching the skirt front to the yoke:
It may be hard to see in the pictures, but the center of the gathered skirt section formed an odd little bump which would be decidedly unattractive on the finished dress.
I solved this by pulling that center section upwards until the excess fabric was eliminated:
This is how the revised stitching line looked on the inside:
To solve the problem, I hand-stitched around the edge of the point with a buttonhole stitch, just as I would do with petticoat pocket slits in my 18th Century costuming.
I hemmed the dress with lace seam/hem tape from my stash, sewing the top edge by hand:
I like the extra weight and stability it gives to the hem.
I actually finished the dress in early August, and wore it for the first time when I was still in Iowa visiting my parents and sisters. I got a couple pictures of it then, but didn't do a proper photo shoot until just over a week ago, after Brian the Engineer and I got home and had settled back in.
I love this dress!
I set my hair in pin-curls the night before, and did my best to wrangle them into a passable 1940s style:
|It's a learning process.|
You may notice one thing missing from the 1940s silhouette - shoulder pads. I haven't decided yet if I want to add them and make the dress more authentic, or keep it as-is - 1940s inspired. I worry that shoulder pads would look wrong on me. I do not have 1940s shoulders.
|I have 1840s shoulders.|