|Kinda reminds me of the Fourth Doctor's scarf.|
Let's start with the quilt. I was rather amazed when I came across this remnant of my first ever sewing project, since quite obviously I never finished it. (I should point out that this was my first machine sewing project - it's possible that the embroidered pillowcase project predated this one.) Mom decided that it was high time I learned how to use the sewing machine, and gave me a pile of scrap fabric and an index card. She told me to use the card as a template and cut rectangles from the scraps, and sew them together into strips. Ideally these strips would have eventually been sewn together into a quilt top, but this was as far as I got before abandoning the project.
It's interesting to examine my younger self's workmanship. I clearly knew nothing about cutting on the straight of grain (although I did know to only cut from the edges of the fabric - not the middle!) or about ironing fabric before cutting... (Silly me, I thought you only ironed clothes.)
I also didn't know about backstitching at the ends of seams.
This is where my sewing saga may have ended, if Mom hadn't given me a dress she made for my Samantha doll for my next birthday. Suddenly it dawned on me - I could make clothes for Samantha myself! (I was very, very big into American Girl dolls at the time, so this was a big deal.)
|Samantha serving tea to my sisters' dolls Kirsten and Felicity - I made none of these dresses.|
By the time I was in high school I had progressed to making clothes for myself, and even managed (with Mom's help) to make both of my Prom dresses - of my own design. This naturally led to gaining a workstudy position in the costume shop for my college's theatre department. I learned a lot of valuable skills from my supervisor there, Jean. She taught me about muslin mock-ups, flatlining, pressing seams as you go, ironing your fabric - and your pattern pieces - before cutting, how to drape, how to dye fabric, and that no matter what mistakes I make, there's always a way to fix it.
|Some of my work from "All's Well That Ends Well" - I made the white gown and the gold overdress on the black gown|
|Another "All's Well" costume I worked on - I remember the sleeves being a particular challenge.|
|I was responsible for detail work on these two gowns from "The Learned Ladies"|
And now I work at Colonial Williamsburg, where I'm still learning new things every day. I hope I never stop. :)