Thursday, December 3, 2015

Dyed Yellow Gloves

I've had a small collection of vintage gloves for a few years now, and I've recently toyed with the idea of dyeing some of them to disguise the effects of ageing and give them new life.  I've also been wanting some fun, brightly colored gloves for my Regency costuming.  So this pair of embroidered gloves seemed like a good place to start. 


Since they had already developed some yellowish spots, I thought I'd embrace it and make them completely yellow!


I used RIT dyes in Golden Yellow and Tangerine (just a splash).  I dyed two pairs of gloves in total, but I forgot to take "before" photos of the second pair.  I really like how they turned out:


The shorter pair is a bit too small for me (they might have been too small before, but I think they the hot water dye also shrank them a bit) and there are a few popped seams that I need to fix:



I might end up selling them on Etsy.  But the embroidered gloves I'm keeping.  I love them!

I think dyeing them makes the embroidery - and especially the beading - more dramatic.

I wore them with my new Straw Bonnet for a recent Fall photo shoot, as seen above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment