Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Modern Jacket Turned Spencer

...Well, almost.  I'm not quite done with it, but it will be at least wearable by the re-scheduled RSV Picnic on Saturday.

Before:  Modern velvet blazer with embroidered back detail.  Also a little too big for me.



In progress:  I pinned the jacket and lining layers together along my underbust line, and hand-basted them in place.



Then I cut the bottom off below my basting line.


Next I took in the sleeves along both seams, and the underarm seams in the jacket body.  Here's where I am now:



Looking at the pictures now, I'm thinking I'll need to take in the armscye, at least in the back.  I might add short puffs to the top of the sleeves while I'm at it, using some of the fabric I cut off.  I'm also thinking about adding a small ruffle to the sleeves at the cuffs.  Originally I envisioned a cute little peplum at the back, but now I'm thinking that might be too fussy.  I'm also increasingly realizing/remembering that I do not enjoy sewing with velvet.

I am inspired by these images of extant velvet spencers, one of which even has embroidery!

V&A
Met
???


4 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your cleverness. This is such a cute idea! And the donor jacket you're using is perfect. Go you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's turning out to be more work than I anticipated. But I think it'll be worth it in the end.

      Delete
  2. Hello Chelsea!

    Ok, now what you have done with this modern jacket is brilliant! I saw your newer post with your sleeve puffs and it is marvelous! Great inspiraton! Thank you!

    Blessings!

    Gina

    ReplyDelete