Before: Modern velvet blazer with embroidered back detail. Also a little too big for me.
In progress: I pinned the jacket and lining layers together along my underbust line, and hand-basted them in place.
Then I cut the bottom off below my basting line.
Next I took in the sleeves along both seams, and the underarm seams in the jacket body. Here's where I am now:
Looking at the pictures now, I'm thinking I'll need to take in the armscye, at least in the back. I might add short puffs to the top of the sleeves while I'm at it, using some of the fabric I cut off. I'm also thinking about adding a small ruffle to the sleeves at the cuffs. Originally I envisioned a cute little peplum at the back, but now I'm thinking that might be too fussy. I'm also increasingly realizing/remembering that I do not enjoy sewing with velvet.
I am inspired by these images of extant velvet spencers, one of which even has embroidery!