Thursday, September 20, 2012

I am a Seamstress


I sew for a living.  I do alterations on bridal gowns, bridesmaid, mother-of-the-bride, and social occasion dresses (Prom, Homecoming, black tie events, etc).  I end up doing a lot of sides seams and hems, which can be very monotonous after a while.  Once in a while I get a bride who wants to make custom changes to her dress, and then I get to design!  I do things like adding cap sleeves, lace keyhole backs, adding one-shoulders, sweetheart necklines, and changing an A-line skirt into a mermaid.

I glory in these custom jobs, partially because I so rarely have the time to do any personal sewing - projects just for me.  And when I do have spare time, I usually want to do something other than the thing I do all day, every day.

...Try and take over the world!  :p
When I'm doing custom work, I get to play a little bit.  I get to make something fun.  I get to put my own personal stamp on a wedding gown and make it one-of-a-kind, created by Chelsea.  And I get to personally interact with the bride throughout the design process, and see her joy and delight when everything comes together just as she'd imagined it.  This is what I love most about my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment