The next commission I completed was for a tailcoat only. Although both clients requested dark blue wool for their fabrics, the two coats came out very differently. I ended up using a heavier wool for the second coat, and because of that it made more sense to finish the edges with a blunt-cut treatment. The wool is very well fulled and will not ravel, so I simply placed the wrong sides of the pieces together, sewed along the stitching line, and cut off the excess seam allowance. It made for a very sharp finished look, without all of the bulk that turning in the seam allowances would have added.
My client requested fabric-covered buttons, which I love to make. And this coat is double-breasted with nice wide lapels. He made his own waistcoat, which he brought along to the final fitting for these photos:
Just for fun, here's a comparison between the two dark blue tailcoats:
What a difference fabric choice and design options can make!