Sunday, June 30, 2013

1813 Remembrance Service


The Craney Island Bicentennial weekend continued with an 1813-era church service and a wreath-laying ceremony honoring War of 1812 veterans buried at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Norfolk.  


So last Sunday morning once again found my ironing in my skivvies.


I had worn my new apron-front gown to the ball the evening before, so it needed to be pressed again.  I wore it with my straw-brimmed bonnet, a cream sash, and my cockade from the ball.


Lovely ladies dressed for church:



Chatting in the pews before the service:



I was teasing Jackie that her camera was the same color as her bonnet.  :p  


Such a pretty church!  
 I didn't take any photos during the service itself, since that would rather spoil the mood.  Afterwards, we went out to the cemetery for the wreath-laying ceremony.



Mrs. Madison was again in attendance.  



The Daughters of the War of 1812 had helped organize the ceremony.  

Laying the wreaths:




Musket salute:



Listening to "Taps"
Back inside the church, we paused for some group photos.



I loved his cane.  
It's made of wood from the USS Constitution!  
After the ceremony there was a luncheon reception.


Yummy food!


Chatting around the punch bowl  
Obligatory shoe shot!  I count three Pemberlies.  :p  
Then back outside for more photo ops!


I do so love how Regency dresses look from the back.  


We have found a pavilion...


And so we must dance!




 We even goofed around a bit and took some "mourning" shots by one of the graves.



The cemetery was actually quite picturesque.







2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! It looks like fun. I wish there were more people near me that liked to dress up and get together. :)

    -Veronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun to dress up with other people! Keep looking for them, cuz they're out there. :)

      Delete