Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Regency Slippers - Planning Stages

For the Regency Ball next month, I'll need appropriate footwear.  Or at least a reasonable facsimile.  I have this pair of dyeable satin slippers:


With a bit of customization I think I can come up with a decent pair of 1810-1820 style evening shoes. I've found the following images of flat or low-heeled rounded-toe slippers from the time period I'm aiming for:

1812 Metropolitan Museum of Art
1810-1820 Manchester Art Gallery
1812 Metropolitan Museum of Art
1820s Augusta Auctions
1800-1810 Manchester Art Gallery
The main thing I've found in common with all slippers of this era is the side seam, usually covered in some sort of trim.  Also, most examples have a combination of pleated ribbon trim around the throat of the vamp and some sort of bow or pompom on the toe.  I am currently playing with ideas of dyeing and/or painting the shoe itself, and various ribbon decorations for the toes.  I'm thinking these shoes will end up in the blue color family, as the dress I'm planning is going to be pale blue and white.

I will be using these helpful tutorials on painting/decorating the shoes, as well as referencing more inspirational images from my Sweet Slippers Pinterest board.  

2 comments:

  1. I purchased a pair of 1980's bridesmaid shoes off of Etsy last week that are destined to be Regency slippers. The best part? I have 3 of the 5 pictures you posted on my "short list" of design ideas! The past pair in particular appealed to me, but I can't see myself painting gingham on silk. I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the last pair is my favorite, too! I don't think I'll go with that pattern, though. I'm toying with the idea of a stamped floral sprig... Coule be interesting.

      Delete