Monday, July 18, 2016

Flower Child

More summer sewing!  This dress is not 1940s, but that's ok.  I actually cut out the fabric last September, and only now got around to sewing the dress.

This was my fabric and pattern choices:

I originally intended to make the dress on the left with the sleeves from the pattern on the right, even though I didn't really have enough fabric to do so.  I cut out some sleeves that I thought I could maybe make work, and then when I was constructing the dress I got so involved with making facings for the neckline and armholes that I forgot about the sleeves entirely until I was nearly done.  Oh well.  It's probably for the best, as I don't think they would have worked the way I wanted them to, anyway.  Here is the dress:  

My mom came home from work one afternoon last week and wanted to go take pictures of the wildflowers growing in a field not far from my parents' house in the country.  Having just finished this dress two days before, I decided this would be a good time to throw it on and get some photos.  Mom was kind enough to take these for me.

The setting felt very appropriate for a 70s-style dress (the pattern I used was from 1971) and it was a gorgeous Iowa day.

I made the dress a bit longer than the pattern called for, and it's quite comfortable.

Iowa prairie wildflowers as far as the eye can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment