Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Commission - Navy Wool Tailcoat and Red Wool Waistcoat

My first big commission was completed several months ago, and I'm just now getting around to blogging about it.  I have an excuse, though.  In the intervening months I have taken on and finished two more commissions of similar magnitude, and I will be blogging about those soon.

Commission Number One was a tailcoat and waistcoat for a customer who wished to replace his kilt that he had been wearing to English Country Dances with a more suitable Regency ensemble.  He purchased a shirt and pair of breeches from Jas. Townsend, but came to me for a custom tailcoat and waistcoat.  I also ended up making him a cravat to complete the outfit.

The only in-progress photos I took of the project are these three pics of the pad-stitched collar:

Pad-stitching from the top side
Pad-stitching from the bottom side
And with the excess interfacing trimmed away
The final coat turned out rather well, if I do say so.  We opted for a single-breasted front, closed with two buttons on a chain.

Behind the coat you can see the first two tailcoats I made for Brian the Engineer.  I used them as reference while sewing.
The red wool waistcoat provided a beautiful contrast to the navy wool coat.  Both fabrics were purchased from Burnley & Trowbridge.


The client requested all silver buttons.


When he came for his final fitting, the gentleman was kind enough to bring his full outfit so I could take these photos for my website:





Looks rather good, doesn't he?   He wore the ensemble to a ball the following weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment