Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Year of Foundations - My Goals

My primary goal for the 2014 Year of Foundations challenge is to build a full set of 18th Century undergarments.  I already have a suitable shift and two pairs of beautiful silk stockings from American Duchess, but I have no usable stays or skirt supports.


My one shift is cotton, and I plan to make a more historically accurate linen one (or two).  I also have one flounced petticoat, and I definitely need more.  So, here are my plans:

  • 1 or 2 linen shift(s)
  • stays
  • grand pannier
  • pocket hoops
  • bum pad
  • 2 or 3 petticoats
  • embroidered garters
I intend for this set of foundations to be multi-functional, which is why there are several different options for skirt supports on my list.  I will need the grand pannier for my planned 18th Century Court Gown (another challenge I am taking part in this year), but for more "everyday wear" in my costuming wardrobe I will want smaller skirt supports such as the pocket hoops or just a bum pad.  

This is my one petticoat.  It needs support.  
My secondary goal is Victorian foundations!  I have... nothing.  :p  I need:  
  • chemise
  • possibly drawers
  • corset
  • bustle
  • petticoats
I also need to pin down a time period of focus for my Victorian plans.  I know I want a bustle, so I need to research the Early Bustle and Late Bustle periods and decide which one best suits my purposes.  Right now I have very vague plans for a gown based on the fabric that I have in my stash at the moment.  

Vague Victorian skirt ideas
So that's what I have planned for 2014!  I'll be starting with stays, so that will be my next post.  Stay tuned!  And if you're interested in participating in the Year of Foundations, just leave me a comment on my intro post and I'll add you to the list.  

No comments:

Post a Comment