|Said ugly hat|
The first order of business was to locate my seamripper so I could unpick the ugly hat and separate the straw brim from the crown. (I recently moved, so this part took a while.) When I was done I had this:
Next I needed to find fabric from my stash to make the new bonnet crown and decorate the bonnet. I had a vague idea of what I wanted the bonnet to look like, but I knew I wanted it to coordinate with my blue day dress and a possible future yellow Regency dress. Therefore I settled on green for the base color. After a brief hunt through my stash, I came up with a lovely pale green cotton (probably) that used to be the cover of a chair cushion:
I had originally disassembled it years ago in order to make a doll dress, which apparently was going to have a half-circle skirt. I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the fabric, but if I ever find it maybe I can make a matching reticule or something.
I took no pictures of the actual bonnet-making process, but if you'd like to see it halfway done you can look at my previous post on the Regency Picnic I recently attended. I hadn't sewn on the ruffle and ties yet, but it was wearable for the day. Now here it is completed:
I am much happier with it now, and can't wait to wear it out and about! Luckily, an opportunity to do so is forthcoming... more on that later ;)