|Ignore the rulers (for now)|
Perfect. This will take hardly any work at all. :)
|Ok, back to the rulers.|
First, I measured from my waist to the floor and added what I considered to be a decent length for a short train. (In the bridal industry, it would be called a "court" train.) I measured that distance up from the bottom of the short ruffle shown at the top of the above picture, and marked a short line across the middle of the white area. The ruler halfway down the side is measuring the exact halfway point of the white part.
|See that faint blue line there?|
Using my pinking shears, I cut down the center until I got to the stay-stitched line, so imagine this:
With me so far?
Now I had a circle where there was once a long slit. Starting approximately where my hip bones would end up when I wear the skirt, I pinned knife pleats pointing away from the center front, and pinned the whole thing to my bias tape waistband.
|Side note: how old is this bias tape if it once sold for 45 cents? Also, it's no longer quite white. :p|
How about some pics on my trusty dress form?
|Side angle with train|
I was inspired by 18th Century petticoats in their construction that allows them to be worn over smaller or larger side panniers. I adapted the technique to make the back of my skirt adjustable for different-sized bustles!
I slightly miscalculated the length of the bias tape for my waistband, and it was too large. I solved this temporarily by tucking and pinning it on either side. This will be fixed permanently before I wear it as a costume.
I also pinned up the sides in the back, playing with the train to make it fall a little nicer. I might add some ties to make it adjustable, in the future.
Looking through the other hidden treasures recovered from my parents' old house, I anticipate several upcoming projects and blog posts featuring them. Stay tuned!